Thursday, August 5, 2010

New Teacher Orientation

Today was the new teacher orientation at my school. It was so exciting to actually get in the school and start to try and learn your way around (the school is huuuuuge, with 6 different wings). We didn't get to see our classrooms yet, but only because the principal forgot the list at home. If we call up on Monday we'll be able to get it. It's all just gotten that much more real.
There are 14 incoming corps members at the school and about 25 new teachers total. Its great to be there with so many other corps members. The principal and several of the administrators were there to introduce themselves and go over things. One of the assistant principals is a former corps member, which is really awesome. You could hear the TFA lingo in the way she spoke. It wasn't as clear as with the people who still work for TFA, but the phrasing and word choice were definitely there at some points. I found that to be mildly amusing.
The principal, Dr. V, seemed really great. Very enthusiastic and eager to get students on track. The only deal breaker.... she's a self-proclaimed, die-hard Duke fan. Anyone who knows me well knows that I loathe Duke. Seriously, I can't stand them. My whole family can't. Next week, my mom and my sister are driving from Charlotte to NJ and stopping to see schools. My mom literally said to me yesterday, "well, we're going to go to Chapel Hill because your sister wants to look at UNC. And then we're going to go drive through Duke and laugh at people". I guess I'll have to bite my tongue and not mention my loyalty to the Tar Heels for the next two years.
We spent the afternoon going through the teacher evaluation process, learning about the culture of the school and getting a tour from the executive board of the student council. Actually getting to meet some of the students was amazing. I know these are the students who are already involved, dedicated and invested but it was still amazing to see how much these kids loved their school and were really looking to be challenged. One girl even told me she wants to go to George Washington University in DC. Squeal!!
It was all a little overwhelming, but it seems like the administration is going to be really great and helpful. I'm starting to get really pumped for the school year.

No comments: